Topics for Bachelor theses:
If you are interested in a Bachelor thesis in the group "Environmental Modelling in the Climate System", please contact Prof. Dr. Holger Tost directly.
- Determination of mixing layer height based on Ceilometer data:
In the thesis different approaches for determination of the mixing layer height shall be developed and intercompared. Finally, a comparison with data from the microwave radiometer from the LfU Mainz shall be conducted.
- Determination of cloudiness and precipitation from Ceilometer data:
It is planned to use the time series of the ceilometer data to a) determine the total cloudiness time for multiple cloud layers. Additionally, the rain shafts for the lowermost troposphere, e.g. vertically extending signals from the surface throughout the boundary layer, shall be analysed and compared with the precipitation observations.
- Radiative Flux "climatology" at the IPA in conjunction with satellite data:
The data from three radiation sensors at the IPA measurement sites shall be analysed and intercompared. Furthermore, additional data from the SEVIRI instrument for the location of Mainz shall be used and total cloudiness and aerosol extinction shall be derived, based on the theoretically possible radiative fluxes.
- Organisation of convective clouds based on superparameterised model output(Analyse des Organisationsgrades konvektiver Wolken basierend auf Modelloutput).
Model simulations applying a convective superparameterisation can provide detailed global information about small scale features of convection. The project aims at analysing the degree of organisation of convection with typical organisation indices across the CRM cells within one GCM grid cell. This should be performed for various regions and seasons. A key point of the analysis is whether the degree of organisation is consistent across the GCM gridcells.
- Analysis of cloud cover values from a webcam (Analyse des Wolkenbedeckungsgrades basierend auf Webcam-Bildern)
With the help of picture analysis algorithms a suitable approach for determining the cloud coverage from webcam pictures is going to be developed. This task will be mainly Python based picture analysis.
- Analysis of aerosol optical properties from box model simulations (Analyse der optischen Eigenschaften von Aerosol-Partikeln mit Hilfe von Box-Modell Simulationen.
Additional topics can be discussed on request.